Definition of Index
Noun: index (indices,indexes) 'in,deks
- A numerical scale used to compare variables with one another or with some reference number
- A number or ratio (a value on a scale of measurement) derived from a series of observed facts; can reveal relative changes as a function of time
- index number, indicant, indicator
- A mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- exponent, power
- An alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
- The finger next to the thumb
- index finger, forefinger
- List in an index
- (publication) provide with an index
"index the book"
- Adjust through indexation
"The government indexes wages and prices"
Anagrams containing the word index